Saturday, January 15, 2011

Holiday Inn Invitational

After two days of track and field, the UNO team faired very well. Day One featured most of the distace races, and to lead the way Katarina and Anja went 1-3 with a 4:53 and 5:00 minute mile. Day Two picked up, and we ended up with six Mavericks qualifying for nationals. Nkeiruka and Sami in the triple jump, Heather in the shot put, Kathie-Lee in the high jump, Anja in the mile, and I in the 400.

I had an interesting first weekend. Thursday I came home after practice; I was excited for the first meet, and my adrenaline was pumping, so I decided to log onto the internet to look at the heat sheets for my 400. I found out I was in the fast heat of the 400, running with 2 professional sprinters- one representing Adidas. I spent the next two days stressed and anxious. I had a horrible start, I popped right up out of the blocks, but made up for it by splitting 26 at the 200. I quickly tightened up though and wasn't able to run relaxed the last 150. I ran 57.24, which isn't what I was hoping for, but it gives me a starting place; I can't complain about the first race of the year. After about an hour, I hit the track again for my 200. I ran 25.54 and felt much more relaxed and "in my groove". I placed 4th in both the 400 and the 200, qualifying for Nationals in the 400.

When I was finished with racing, I was surprised to look in the stands and see who had come to watch. My Dad, my Grandma, Kirk Holland, Dani Suponchick, Chelsea Liska, Jenna Miller, Amanda Kneifl, and Meghan Vogt. It was a special day- the first time my Grandma has seen me run.

No comments:

Post a Comment